Monday 28 November 2011

Hammy Shark Soup - Shark Hunter the Movie


I love sharks. Aside from writing horror I'm a sucker for shark films and there's no doubt that Jaws is the greatest, I'll drink to my leg on that. I'm a fan of Alten's MEG series the first book being my favourite, Steve has given me a few pointers over the years and some good tips on my own trailers. 

Thinking about it I am a little shark geek having my own Megalodon tooth fossil. So I dusted down my copy of Shark Hunter to share my thoughts. But before I do that I must point out that the greatest sh*t line in shark movie history is when actor John Barrowman as Ben Carpenter replies to Cataline Stone as she sighs, "I'm exhausted." with his line of...


"Yeah, me too. But you know I'm really wired. What do you say I... take you home and eat your pussy." 

Seriously it happens, I had to rewind it to check I'd heard it right! Anyhow here's Shark Hunter...

Shark Hunter (2001)

The better of the giant Shark films. Compared to Megalodon (2002) and Shark Attack 3: Megalodon (2002), Shark Hunter is almost Oscar material when it comes to acting and script. Although it suffers with a low budget and shamelessly borrows elements from Steve Alten's novel 'Meg' it's the closet thing you'll get to an attempted prehistoric shark film.



The pacing and editing are a little awry but some of the practical and special effects are well executed.

Die Hard actor Grand L. Bush and hammy Antonio Sabato Jr. for the most part are watchable. Director Matt Codd is wise to hide to shark in the shadows and considering it was made in 2001 the SPFX are adequate. The music score is worthy of note and it has a nihilistic element that breaks the b-film mould with and ending that refreshingly going against the norm.



Overall, it's far from great but the best Megalodon film to date.



THAT BARROWMAN LINE FROM THE OTHER SHARK FILM:


No comments:

Post a Comment