Wednesday 28 December 2011

Confessions of a Writer - Truth, Tips and what they Wont tell You

There's no fancy pictures with this blog post, no eye-candy, no poll and no video. For promos head over to my site. Here are words, numbers and letters. Many have already closed down the window - those still reading I thank you...

The thing about being 5'4 is that you fall under the radar. For me it is a blessing, it's what being an underground author is all about and as you get older you shrink. Ghost writing gigs aside I turned down two projects in 2011. One for ethical reasons, the other because I preferred the films to the TV series. No one can ever accuse me of selling out.

There seems to be less reading going on these days, with more people spending time on Facebook, sort of facebookworms and on game consoles. Lot's of authors think a book signing makes them a good writer, even famous but in reality most people there are just browsing and not specifically there to see them. Even at conventions, the readers are there to see the 'famous' head-liners, the book you signed will probably end up on eBay. You are usually there as 'padding'.

My editor makes me look good - I have no marketing company behind me and will remain an alternative writer. Does it matter, not to me, of course everyone wants to make it like Tony Montana, however, I never have to proclaimed to be a great writer, just an engaging, neat storyteller. I'd like to think those who buy my books retain them. And story telling is a dying art. Those strong narratives are progressively being replaced by watered-down, bloated, re-jigged, reworked, repackage, mis-sold, 'safe' stories. Saturated and bland with anything intriguing being few and far between. The same can be said for film.

There's no doubt that there's a snobbery and click within the film and writing industry, it's not just confined to those fields. All my working life and to my own detriment I've never been willing to play the game. And yet both Blood Hunger and Dead Pulse (outselling Blood Hunger 5-1?!) continue to be modest successes and Terminus my art-house film has exceed expectations. POWER TO THE PEOPLE! And lately power to ebooks and kindle.

That said, I am not alone there are many like myself that call a spade a spade and strive to create, not to conform. Being professional doesn't mean you have to sellout or give in. Although these days does it matter, I'll never be down with the kids most can't watch a film over 89 minutes or read anything longer than a 140 character tweet. Should I cater for them or the growing and diverse following I have? You have to ask why do you do it? If your doing it for fame, money it's unlikely you'll make it unless you have a bagful of cash to hand over to a PR company and 15 -25% to an agent. It's all a bottle neck smoke screen. Many of the best artists are sadly not filthy rich, so don't get the credit they deserve, you have to search them out they are there. They could be you. Get you site, get your product, it's true build it and they will come. Despite my latest works being part if a saturated genre, they were conceived a long time ago and are definitive and exciting horror homages.

2012 will see the release of the last of my sub-horror genre books Darkest Moons (limited Edition) which will be followed by a film adaptation.

Thanks again for all your support, you don't have to read my books or films but keep spreading the word to keep an ageing man happy. If you are a writer or filmmaker or anyone with a dream - believe in yourself and just keep plugging. (Unless you really do suck)

Have a great 2012!

My best

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment